SUBSCRIBE TO PODCAST IN ITUNES
In this very first episode of the new Amplified Impact podcast I was fortunate enough to talk with Jonathan Malm about church communication. Jonathan shares how he got into ministry and the challenges of small church ministry from the early days. He also talks about his transition from worship leader to tech director at a church in order to amplify the impact of the worship service. Jonathan is a veteran church communications expert who now helps churches through his various websites, books and coaching.
Watch the Video
A few things that Jonathan said that blew me away during this interview:
- You can do a lot with what you have if you maximize it.
- It’s important to embrace failure. I’d rather fail one Sunday and learn something that can help me in the next then to be mediocre every Sunday. Sometimes you sacrifice the short game for the long game.
- My walk with God was being substituted for my work at church.
- If your hobbies, spiritual walk, job and your friends are tied up in the church, and that’s all you have, that’s a little bit dangerous.
- Bring someone in who has never been to your church and ask them to mark points in your service every time they feel uncomfortable.
Amplified Impact Round
Q: What’s the #1 thing any church communication director needs to know?
A: Communication doesn’t happen unless the other person understands it. You need to speak their language.
Q: What’s the best thing you’ve done to attract new visitors to church?
A: Facebook Ads. Previously public access television.
Q: How do you develop your church brand?
A: Be consistent with who you already are…
Q: What is the most important aspect of a church communication strategy?
A: Simplify what you are trying to communicate.
Q: Do you have any tips for sermon series planning or promoting?
A: I happen to have an eBook about that actually: Developing a Series. Why are you doing a series? What are you trying to accomplish with the series? What are you trying to make people change at the end of the series? Knowing the end goal, will determine a lot of what you do.
Q: Do you have a favorite tool or app that you use?
A: I love Wunderlist.
Q: Any ideas for empowering church members to invite their friends?
A: Be consistent each week. Then simply suggest people invite them.
Jonathan mentioned that I interview Joe Cavazos. Look out Joe, I’m coming to get you.
- Church Stage Design Ideas
- Sunday Social
- Unwelcome: 50 Ways Churches Drive Away First-Time Visitors
- Created for More: 30 Days to Seeing Your World in a New Way
- Chronological Bible
- Developing a Series
- 7 Ways to Attract More Visitors to Church
- 52 Ways to Make Sunday Special